Creativity & Genre
Whenever doing anything remotely creative or
innovative I never thought I was good at it. I would always say I didn’t have a
creative bone in my body. I never considered how much the creative process is so
crucial to working on a project. So, this week, my class and I spent several
days discussing the importance of creativity and creative processes. By
doing activities and corpus amount of research, I have been able to understand
the importance and how to further incorporate this later in my piece.
To begin
with, as said before, I never thought or felt confident about my ability to be
creative. According to “An Interview with Ron Beghetto:
Subtle Nuances of Creativity in Learning and Life.” “creative self-efficacy is
a specific type of creative self-confidence that helps shape more global
beliefs about our creative abilities and identities” As stated by the article,
that confidence or self-insurance is key to being successful in this type of
project. Although I currently don’t have confidence in my creative ability, I
must gain it by making process, receive feedback and encouragement (An
Interview with Ron Beghetto: Subtle Nuances of Creativity in Learning and Life.)
To build off that, according to the ted talk that my class and I reviewed,
bringing in someone who has no idea about what you're working on can bring honest
feedback and encouragement that can further aid me with my creative process. Beyond
that, with exploring my creativeness, I did a “describing myself” activity You could describe yourself with books,
favorite pairs of shoes, or even animals. I chose to describe myself using my
favorite clothing items in my closet. I did better than I expected.
Moving on, along with studying the specifics of the creativity
my class and I did extensive research on our chosen genre and editors of
magazines that fall into that genre. To start, I researched Jessica Pels from
Cosmopolitan magazine. One thing that makes Cosmopolitan stand out creatively
is the cohesiveness between the typography and the cover photo. Usually
depending on the person featured on the cover and what they are wearing, the
font and ties it all together making it visually pleasing. This type of
typography is what I want to incorporate in my project. One thing that I did
notice is that Cosmopolitan usually has one person or subject on the cover and
the words are just an accessory. Personally, I would like to make my cover and
photo both tell the story. Next, Dan Wakeford of People magazine. Much like the
Cosmopolitan magazine, the words are the background of the cover photo. This
isn’t what I would like to incorporate in my project because I would like the
words and the photo to be one big piece of art instead of separate pieces. One
thing that stands out to me is that unlike the previous magazine, they
incorporate more than one photo. (main photo and a tinier photo). Another thing
I didn’t like was how bland the typography was in this magazine. The font/color
was barely cohesive with the photos. The cover line in this piece was very small
and not very eye-catching even though that is the purpose of a cover line.
Finally, my chosen genre would be “general interest”. I feel
that this will be the perfect vehicle for my project due to that this will best
tell my story. My vision for my project is something that will show all-inclusivity and something that everyone can relate to or participate in. Most
magazines don’t do this and I want to be the first of many to convey my story.
Comments
Post a Comment