Decision Day

 

Finally, decision day is here. Anticipating this day to come, my class and I studied two different editing platforms including “Adobe InDesign” and also “Adobe Premiere Pro” Learning about these different platforms, have played an important role in my decision of which project I want to pursue.

 

To begin with, “Adobe Premiere Pro” was the movie/ video editing software that my class and I explored. While playing around and exploring this platform, I noticed some really cool features specific to this app. More specifically, the multi-camera editing, time remapping, and also audio mixer. The multi-camera editing feature allows you to view all of the camera footage at the same time and to switch between cameras. Next, the time remapping feature can allow you put multiple points in the video/movie where you can change the speed of playback. Lastly, The audio mixer does exactly what it sounds like: you can remix different sounds like merging two together or taking them completely out. Personally, my favorite feature would be, the scene edit detection feature. This neat feature automatically detects and adds edits where a cut happens in a video. I know for sure that if I were to do the movie, these features would come in handy. While these features help make the movie appear clean and concise, they also help convey a story. As the article “Our Place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom” states “stories have power” and “storytelling is who we are as humans” and I believe that movies and the creativity that goes into creating them, help convey those stories.

 

Next, “Adobe InDesign” was the magazine/tabloid editing platform. This platform was by far my favorite. Ever since a young age, I had always loved playing around with filters and photo color selecting. I have always thought I didn’t have a creative bone in my body, but playing around with the software, and exploring the buttons are making me think otherwise. Some features that caught my eye was the font searching and the color theme tool. I think the font searching speaks for itself, but the color theme tool is my favorite because, it allows you to select a color featured in a photo then you can include that same exact color in your text. In some magazines that I have studied, the colors they used were pretty uniform throughout the magazine. So, using this feature will help you achieve that same look and style. According to “Survival of the fittest: four editors on the future of literary magazines” readership in magazine is low and so is the budget. I think this may be because magazines nowadays don’t have substance or aren’t tailored to the correct audience. For example, with what is going on in today, with the black lives matter movement and the division in this country, this is something that magazine can capitalize on. Black voices NEED to be heard. This is my main goal when making my magazine. I want to make sure that the voices that aren’t being heard, are finally being listened too.

 

In conclusion, my choice is made. I have chosen to do a magazine. Movies aren’t under budgeted or obsolete. Doing a magazine, would be different from today’s magazine because there will be no budget, there will be no limits. While, exploring the features of InDesign and reading the articles, I concluded that doing a magazine will allow to be completely and full creative.

Comments